This is...

This is...

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

10 years ago...


10 years ago, Joe proposed. He picked me up on his little crotch-rocket (Honda CBR) motorcycle and took me for a ride up around Sundance... I had a feeling he was planning something - why else would he come home from work already having a helmet for me? He wasn't the type to think ahead. Usually if we went on motorcycle rides in our spontaneous nature, we would just ride back to his house to grab a helmet for me to wear. Tip off #1 - he was a bit nervous and acting a little funny. #2 - Why would he come for a casual lunch date already prepared with a helmet for me? #3 - he already had a plan - he didn't just turn and say "now, where do you want to go?"

Anyways, we drove up the canyon. He parked on a little bridge and we got out to walk around. He started throwing rocks into the stream. I noticed a ring of dirt around a large rock - like it had been recently unearthed and placed back... I picked that one up and found a ring laying on some rose petals in the ground. I started to giggle. I couldn't believe THIS was the moment. I was actually a grown up now... I was actually getting proposed to RIGHT NOW. I was not ready to get married. I was not at all expecting a proposal from him (yet)... well, I knew we were going to get married, but not for several months (or so I believed). We hadn't been dating that long... But both in my heart and in my head I just KNEW I had to say YES. He got on his knee and of course, the rest is history. A dozen roses and some sparkling cider was waiting nearby for us to celebrate. He definately surprised me.

Whats funny, is as I was driving the other night, right next to me at a stop light was a flashback to the past... The guy was so similar to Joe back in 1999. This was how I remember the man I fell in love with. A little geeky - not the skater/football dude I was used to dating. He wore mission shoes and white socks. His pants were not baggy - they were even a bit tighter around the ankle (fashion circa 1992). He wore a belt and had nice legs making the pants have to stretch around his quads. He rode a motorcycle. He was not at all what I thought I would marry. Had this man been on a yellow Honda CBR, it would have been an exact re-incarnation of my husband 10 years ago.

Shortly before we were married, he sold his bike. I was happy. It was dangerous...
Here, we were driving 100mph+ on our way to Vegas...

Hoping he doesnt want another bike anytime soon...

No comments: