This is...

This is...

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Memorial Day!

We just got back from a REALLY fun trip!
Friday, after the kids' last day of school, we packed up our four wheelers and headed south! Joe and Perry had been planning this little excursion for months, so the boys were really excited.
We met up with the Atkins down in Beaver, and headed further on towards Escalante. We got there after dark, so we set up a little camp site just off the road.
That first night was amazing. Since we were so secluded, we didn't put up the privacy/rain flap over our tent. We were able to just look up at the stars in the sky all night. Our tent (without the rain flap) is essentially just a screen, so it was like sleeping on a tarp outside - we had almost an entire 360 degree view! It was a bit chilly, but the kids were in heaven! Joe and I forgot how uncomfortable it is to sleep on the hard ground, but beyond that, we had a great night! Amy and Matt and family pulled in and set up camp later that night.
We woke up, packed up our crap, ate poptarts for breakfast, then headed to Escalante to meet up with the rest of the group.
Amy and Matt rented a Jeep, and Joe's dad came too with his new Jeep! Perry's brother Trent also came along.

Here we are just before we set out on our LONNNNNGGGG ride.

That first day, we did the Hole in the Rock trail. All in all, we drove those 4wheelers about 70 miles that day. The first 30 miles was to Hole in the Rock... We stopped by Dance Hall Rock and Carcass Wash.
Dance Hall rock was pretty cool... I couldn't help but want to dance a bit and maybe do a few handstands...

The last 8 miles or so of the trail was actually fun to ride (cant say the same about the first part). There were actually some parts that I didn't think the Jeeps could get up - but they did!
We hiked to the top of the cliff by Hole in the Rock, ate lunch and took pictures.

It was neat to be up there NOT sweaty... and NOT having to have climbed up the whole way from the boat!

It was fun to be there when it was not boiling hot. The weather was actually pleasant. But, I did not venture down to the lake to jump in as I had thought I would...
On our way back, we took the trail up 50 mile bench. That was actually a really fun ride. we went up some really steep and rocky switch backs. Then, up at the top it was full of trees and little hills and it was quite beautiful and made for a very fun ride. We had ditched Aaron's little 4 wheeler, so it was nice to have Grandpa's Jeep to throw an extra kid into... Nate even got a nap!
Here is the Jeep... a really neat part of the trail.
At the top, Nate kept saying "I can see the whole Earf from here... but I cant see our house" He was so funny. Charity got a bit nervous of the cliffs. It was really fun to hear their different comments.
Here are the girls in the jeep... a bit more comfortable, and a LOT less dusty!

That night, we camped in town at a little campsite. The Atkins gave up trying to camp, and headed to Perry's brother's house for the night. We ate some tin foil dinners, and some cobbler... and slept. We were all VERY tired. We were all also VERY glad to get a wash down at the camp's showers!
Sunday, we woke up and very leisurely took down camp, loaded up, ate breakfast, and headed towards Bryce Canyon. We stopped along the way to hike up towards Mossy cave and this neat waterfall.

Maybe Nate was having a little breakdown here...
We unhitched the trailers at the entrance to Bryce, and spent the day enjoying the beautiful views the canyon offers. Amy and Matt decided to head back to Idaho...

That afternoon, after Bryce Canyon, we decided to sleep in a hotel... We checked in, and then headed up to hit a few ATV trails behind Tropic. Trish decided to stay in the hotel and nap. Grandpa rode my 4 wheeler, and enjoyed sitting in the trailer reading. It was very relaxing for me! The kids had fun (grandpa might be a funner driver than mom?). Then Aaron's 4 wheeler broke :(.

We grilled hamburgers (of course the Atkins had TURKEY burgers and pita bread because they watch their figures).
Then, we headed back to the hotel, bathed the kids and put them to bed. Grandpa had already fallen asleep, so Perry, Maleah, Joe and I headed to the restaurant at the front of the hotel and grabbed dessert, then played games in their "deluxe" lobby area.
We took our time getting up on Monday morning, ate our free pancake breakfast, and headed towards Red Canyon.
Trish captured this pic of the Atkins leading us towards Red Canyon. The scenery was so spectacular.

We rode the Casto Canyon trail and it was really fun. Again, because Aaron's piece of crap broke, we put an extra kid in the Jeep with Grandma and Grandpa. Riley got in there with Charity. I think the girls actually enjoyed that ride a bit better... I'm sure Dad and Trish enjoyed hearing them sing the WHOLE time... ;)

Near the top, Maleah and I decided to go on a little jog... it didn't last long.
We joined back up with the rest of the group at this beautiful lookout point. The whole trail was actually fun - with little streams and TONS of different kind of rock. Portions of the trail were full of pines and dark rock... then there were portions with that green color and white limestone... then there were portions with the red rock and sand. It was quite breathtaking.

Can you see Me and Joe? This trail was really neat!
What a good looking family!!! SO glad we are friends with these guys!!! Glad we are surviving Utah together!
Here I am. I am feeling so fat right now. I have eaten like garbage and have not worked out at all... Trish took this pic. Maleah suggested I put this as my Facebook profile pic. Should I?

Then, the jeep went back the way we came while we continued down the loop through a red rock/river bed.

At the end of that ride, our trip had to come to an end.
We were FILTHY. We were all sunburned (despite using sunblock). But we had a WONDERFUL time!
We loaded our trailers and parted ways.
We made it home - Monday night. We were so dirty that EVERYTHING had to be washed before it was brought into the house/garage. I was actually proud of myself for washing/cleaning out the car and doing the laundry THAT night.
But, I guess that is just an indication of how extremely dirty everything and everyone was!


Sarra said...

Wow. I am super bummed we had to miss that trip. All the pictures are really nice, and I especially like that first one of Charity - it's really cute!
Maybe one day we can all go together!

Kevin and Kristina said...

Emily! Wow! You are too darling and look too young to be a mom of 3. Can't believe how time flies. Your family is beautiful! What a fun and memorable holiday.

Alyssa <3 Owen said...

What an awesome trip! Love all the fun pictures!

Amy said...

Hey! It's great to see your blogging updates. Wow! What a gorgeous trip. Not being from Utah, I haven't seen that before & it is so pretty...totally make sme want to plan a trip up there!

Tell Maleah I said "Hi!"