This is...

This is...

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Now about them Cowboys:

Please excuse this little blurb... needing someone to listen to what I am thinking and Joe is out of town...
I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan since I can remember. I have a faint memory of my mom jumping up and down cheering for Danny White when we lived in Plano (I must have been 6 or 7 years old). I remember proudly wearing my Cowboy’s super bowl T-shirt when I lived in New Jersey as a young teenager (amidst a sea of Giants fans). As a 13 year old girl, I could proudly say I LOVED my BOYS, and would happily rattle off names and stats of the greats like Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman and their coach Jimmy Johnson. I also remember all the disappointment felt in the years after. I remember feeling a gentle surge of hope when Bill Parcells and then T.O signed on. Now, in the era of Wade Phillips, and Tony Romo, can we pull out a big victory? I hate to say it, but I am VERY skeptical - too skeptical to even think we can get further than our little BYE week in the playoffs.

Right now, we are partially blaming some blonde bimbo for the decline of our quarterback. In the last 4 weeks, the word IMPOTENT better describes what I thought was one of the best offenses in the NFL. Blame whatever you want, but if you can’t score a touchdown simply because you’re down ONE wide receiver, you have bigger problems on your hands.
As for Romo: where did his game go? Earlier in the season, he used his head and actually scrambled for a couple first downs. In the last few games, he looked a bit too similar to a bad Favre – slinging a bad or dangerous throw rather than scrambling to that yellow line. Doesn’t he see it RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF HIM??? ;) He once told another dame that he needed to concentrate on the game. Can’t he repeat that?
Dear Jessica, I need to save my legs for the game. Did your dad set us up because he is really a Cowboys hater? Convenient. I will see you in February. ps your dad is crazy.

So, now, (along with the other Cowboy fans) I am hoping for a miracle. Hoping T.O. can play. Hoping Romo will pull his head out. Hoping Terry Glenn comes out as strong and as awesome as he has ever been. Hoping Terrence Newman gets better, and Roy Williams learns how to tackle… do I need to continue? If all these things come together, we have a shot at losing to the Patriots come February.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a little dissapointed in your trip down Cowboys memory lane, you failed to mention Superbowl XXX held in Tempe, where your 'Boys beat up a strong Pittsburg team. I see where we stand in your memories!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are really worried.

Are you saying that the cowboys won't make it past the bye week? Technically, they can't be eliminated if they don't play a game. I've never seen it done before, but the majority of their squad could become disabled in some way or another rendering them unable to play their first playoff game.

Could you please provide more analysis? Who is a better quarterback, Aikman or Romo? Who is a better receiver, Glenn or Owens? Who is a better tight end, Jason Witten or Jay Novacek?

Heath said...

I'm not a Cowboys fan, as growing up I was a huge fan of Montana, Rice, Craig, and Lott in SF. However, living here now in Texas I get to hear more about them Cowboys and so have a bit more knowledge on their situation. I think to blame Miss Simpson is rediculous, and I really think the bigger problem is complacency. I think that the they got to the point where they knew they were in the playoffs and that they were the team to beat in the NFC and they decided to take a break. I don't know if they think they can just turn it on now that they are in the playoffs, but I think they are in for a reality check if they don't pull their heads out and decide to get back to playing football.

As for Joe's comparison question (yes I know this was aimed for Emily but I thought I would chime in). Aikman is a better winner, but Romo is more of an athlete and way more fun to watch. Owens by leaps and bounds. Witten vs Novacek is a little closer race (kind of like Romney and Mcain in NH), I would say take your pick and you will be right.

The Farnsworth Family said...

blah blah blah football blah blah :) Wish i was as cool as a wife as you to be so into football. I do know enough about football to know that the blond bimbo is not to blame for Romo's crappy performance. Nonetheless, I am still a quasi-fan...

THE ROGERS FAMILY said...

I love that you are so into football. I truly know nothing about where any team stands. I am sure Phil would be shocked if I actually sat down and watched a game with him.

It looks like your family had such a wonderful Christmas. I love all your pictures and the Ranch is beautiful. Happy New Year.

Courtney said...

Okay, I have no clue what you are talking about...just wanted to say "hi" and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Bob said...

It's just a sign of things to come. Parcels is in Florida right now and rumor has it he will be stealing away most of his coaching staff left here in Dallas. Get ready for some more bleak years!!

Also, if it weren't for the home town refs making a super bad interference call and that horrible 4th down ball mark the legitimate greats--The Packers-- would have won and then no one could have blamed the blond bimbo for the distraction. One day maybe Romo might become 1/2 the QB of Favre but that's only if he can begin to perform slightly well under pressure and in the big games. But hopefully the Pack will have a chance to redeem themselves and show that they are the true masters of the yard-at least in their division.

Sarra said...

I read an opinion article that said that Romo and Co. (the Cowboys) are the only ones who can beat the Pats. That's why Romo's less-than-stellar performances are so devastating. He has a shot, and isn't taking it.
As for who's stupid and who's to blame, they all are - for different reasons.